- 88% of parents got their first or second choice for school. What happened with the other 12%? How do those parents feel about their placement?
- It's good to see that Dr. Hargens is taking a more hands-on approach than her predecessor. Visiting schools, answering hotlines, and getting out and about is a positive.
- There is a lot of talk about data, but I don't believe we heard a single thing about what the data actually says in terms of how JCPS can improve. It's not enough to know who and where. We need to know WHY schools are succeeding and failing.
- How is diversity and the diversity index defined in real terms?
- While I understand the importance of diversity in our schools, I wish that it wouldn't dominate every discussion of JCPS. How about academics?
- Dr. Hargens described herself as "stoic". This interview does nothing to change that impression. I get the sense she's concerned about the school system and wants to improve it, but is it wrong to wish I saw and heard more enthusiasm for the task?
- Dr. Hargens appears to dodge the question of neighborhood schools completely. I wish she would have simply answered the question and defended her answer. The citizens of Louisville deserve to know where the leaders of our school system stand and why.
- This is the second forum I've heard with Dr. Hargens and I still wish I had more specifics about what problems have been identified and how they're going to be resolved.
- I wish the Courier-Journal would have responded to the sentiments of the community and challenged Dr. Hargens more than they did.
Superintendent Dr. Donna Hargens sat down with members of the staff of the Courier-Journal earlier today. In watching the full hour and ten minutes, several thoughts and questions crossed my mind.
About Rob Mattheu
I created the Louisville BEAT to help JCPS parents become more informed and involved in the school system. You can contact me here.